Skip to main content

I'll Teach you a Thing or Two

           " Life is a road and I want to keep going on- starting out on a journey." - Donna Lewis


Hey. Hey, HEY!

That's right, I'm back, much like that volcanic zit from your pre-teen, puberty years. This youth-based simile will seem really witty once I explain the new and interesting direction my life is taking.

Piqued your interest? If not, that's ok; I haven't really earned it. I've slacked on my blogging and I'm semi-abashed about it. But I actually have a good reason. Excuse. I have a reasonable excuse.

You see, I've been busy. Not only that, but I was under a self-imposed cone of silence. It was self-preservation, really. I needed the money.

Ok, it's been three paragraphs- I'll get to the point. I'm moving to Phoenix, Arizona, where I will live with none other than ex-Hermana Bryant while I obtain my teaching certification through a program called the Arizona Teaching Fellows. Whew. That felt good. It's been sort of a secret for months now.

Why? Well, it's simple really. I had a job (well, up until this last Thursday), and I wanted to keep it that way. On the mission (yes, I went there), we constantly told people how important it is to "perseverar hasta el fin," or endure to the end. Easier said than done. I had to remind myself my last few days on the job that even when the end is in sight, you can't just let yourself start to lag- you have to cross the finish line first. And even when you do, there's still more work to do on the other side of it. I'm getting tired just thinking about it. And I've never been much of a fan of jogging or running.

Me, at my desk. Ooooooh.

A close-up. Of my desk.

I told you I worked my very hardest, even on this, my last day. Note the trickle of sweat, the hand clutching the mouse, and the serious expression on my brow.


Anyway, the point is, I'm moving on to yet ANOTHER adventure. If I didn't know better, I'd swear I was the one who coined the phrase "out with the old, in with the new." Since graduating college (hell, even in college), I don't think I've lived anywhere more than a year or so at a time. I'm like a nomad, a roaming gnome, big foot- I can't stay in one place for too long or apparently, something in the universe will implode. Part of me likes to say that I hate this constant change, I long to put down some roots, blah and etc. But I think it's the natural privilege of someone young and unattached. Or as my cuzzin Trevor would say, "I does as I pleases." So there must be another part of me that is pleased by being able to explore and try new things.

Which is ironic, really, because I never would have guessed as much by my track record (the same record that shows how much I've moved). When I first went away to college at seventeen, I was a hot mess, minus the hot. It took me two weeks to really adjust to and enjoy college life. I was sad to leave home and everyone I'd known since, well, forever. I'm kinda sentimental in that way, at least. Anyone who was my roommate in college could tell you the horror stories of what I was like when I would come back from Christmas or Summer break. One of my favorites is when Tessa, a housemate who would later become a good friend, moved into the first off-campus apartment I had lived in. I must have been a real treasure, because she called her now husband and said "I don't think I can do this." He advised her to help me move my thousands of boxes, most of them books I'd managed to collect in my time working at at a resale book warehouse (spoiler alert: the boxes were HEAVY), into the apartment. It's hard to be pissy and not make a friend once you go through an experience like that. You know, like Harry, Ron and Hermione in the first Harry Potter? Yeah, just like that.

The Summertime Sadness also hit me when I went on the mission. My parents helped me and my luggage out of the car and I warned the Elder (man missionary) that "just so you know, I'm probably gonna cry soon." And I did. And it only lasted a half hour, and I was golden for a year and a half. So I'm hoping that when I leave tomorrow morning on my wild and wily exodus, the meltdown will be substantially smaller. Five minutes? Is that reasonable?

Anyway, I am actually pretty excited to be a teacher in spite of the fact that, much like the mission, I initially tried to avoid that career path until it became clear I could no longer do so. Coming back from the mission is when I figured out I wanted to teach. Go figure. So right now, I am as ready as I'm gonna be for my sweet and sour adventure. I will have my dad in tow (at the age of 26, apparently I'm still not old enough to make a personal voyage). But let's be serious, I'll enjoy the company and someone to eat some of the road trip goody snacks. I have a bridesmaids dress I have to squeeze myself into, after all. Hna. Bryant will become Hna. Peralta soon, so I'm not the only one who has new adventures to look forward to. But now, whilst still in limbo, I'll enjoy the time left with my mom, my sister, and my cat. And really, that's as good as it gets.

Oh, and here's the obligatory pics of me in the musical The Masked Canary that I was in. Yeah, that one, the one that took up a good couple months of my life and was pretty much the best musical I've ever been in. And the only one. Long live the Masked Canary! End scene.

Me as Sidekick, and Dan, the manager of the Liberty Lake Safeway, as Old Timer. My buddy Brittany Trader is in the background; the guy next to her was the bad guy of the show and he pulled her up on stage during part of the second act.

There's only room for one Masked Canary on this stage! I gave it my all, but show after show, came up short.

Farewell for now,

Sweeney

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Online Dating: The New American Normal

I might outdo myself today. One can only hope. So exactly a week ago, I was sitting in the foyer at church, waiting for Sacrament Meeting to be over so that I could teach my Sunday School lesson. That is my calling in my home ward even though I am also attending the Singles Ward. Weird. Anyway, as I was a-sitting, a twenty-something couple and their toddler son intrude upon my solitude as the little boy proceeds to do human donuts in the middle of the carpet. I was mildly distracted from my lesson prep, and since unlike his mother, I wasn't attempting to enforce a reverent silence upon him, he seemed to slowly but surely magnetize over to my neck of the foyer. What happened next put one of those stupid smiles on my face that lasts long after the event has passed. This little tyke hobbles over to the table next to where I was seated in my armchair, and notices there's a single yellow lily bulb resting atop it. He looks from the flower to me, picks up the flower, grins, and han

Dancing Pickles, Serving Missions, and Other Things I didn't Want to Do

Well, it had to happen sooner or later; inevitable, like a bad ABC Family summer sitcom or the resurgence of leggings. What is this great Event (not to be confused with the wannabe 'Lost' T.V. show), you might ask? I am now blogging. Why? Well, dear anybody-who's-reading-this, simply put, I'm going through cha cha cha CHANGES! and because this is the easiest way for people to stay updated, we now find ourselves here. So as some people might know, I am serving the Master and Commander upstairs on an LDS mission in the Capital of the Dominican Republic, Santo Domingo (West Mission). Yes, yes thank you, I know, I am wonderful. I've also determined that this means God loves me more than people serving stateside. It's a logical conclusion. I mean, I'm practically going on vacation! [Note: if you are offended by my humor, I will only cheerfully encourage you to purchase a of sense of one at a local convenience store near you]. But I have a confession, World Wi

There's Nothing to Fear, but What You Feel

"Sometimes I think that it's better to never ask why"- Pink Wow. If crap could be holy, this would be one of those occasions. I haven't written in FOREVER! I have friends that don't even like blogging who have me bested. It's literally been three months, o sea, 1/4 of a year, since I've had anything useful or otherwise to contribute. I have some ah-splaining to do..." Here's a mild recap of some things that have happened. I honestly probably don't remember them all. I still work at Vivint, the leader in home automation and security. But I got a new job. I hesitate to call it a promotion, because I'm not sure that it is, or that I did anything to earn it. But I enjoy it a lot more than when I used to call people up and be like, "hey, so... security?" The nice thing is, I actually think they're great systems, but selling them wasn't my strong point. I have to admit, I used to have a great disdain for salespeop