Skip to main content

Here I Am... Rock you Like a Hurricane!


O sea, WE were the ones rocked by a rather beastly Hurricane named Issac. I learned (or relearned, I don´t remember), that Hurricanes are named after the people that discover them. I can´t tell if hoping to find and name a future Hurricane "Hurricane Sweeney" is in bad taste or not. But considering we didn´t really have too many negative side effects, I really have no beef with hurricanes. Just that Issac made it so I couldn´t leave me house for two days in a row. And considering we don´t have radio, Internet, T.V., those two days COUNT! So what do trapped missionaries with a mild case of cabin fever do? 1). Make no bake cookies by candlelight (you´re probably not going to have constant light during a hurricane). 2) Attempt to nap. My body won´t let me nap on the mission, but I think during Issac´s visit, I finally managed to succeed. 3). You fight with your companion over whether or not Issac´s howls sound more like her name or yours. I´m still convinced Issac was coming for HER. 4). Do laundry. Never mind that your laundry room is under attack from the storm because the only protection is a door with metal bars, bars implying that there are large gaps, through which enter mucho water. The obvious irony of this situation can be left for each individual to review. 5). When you get back from your one attempt to leave the house (before you were informed shortly after that you once again had to remain indoors), you can form a slip n´slide from the many puddles that have managed to enter the house in your absence. 6). Paint prayer rocks by candlelight 7). Write a letter to anyone you´ve ever met before in your life.
These are just a few of the creative solutions to your Hurricane Blues. For more ideas, wait for Hurricane Sweeney to pass through.

Well, as I was writing, all the power went out and I momentarily freaked out, not sure if I´d get to finish writing this week or not. The mission. The situations. The people. The experience. I feel like maybe when all is said and done, I can turn my memoirs into a spectacular ice show, like the ones Disney is always doing. I already have the tag line.

And just in case anyone was wondering (last night, I certainly was), I will be staying here to rock Quisqueya for another six weeks. I´ll get to see a couple weddings and perhaps finally the baptism of Charlin and Robbinson, but we´ll see. All in good time. I´m not in a hurry, but I´d be lying if I said I wouldn´t love to see it come to pass. And since I never know what my timetable is out here in the jungle, I´ve come to accept that I won´t see a lot of the people I start teaching get baptized. At first, that is a hard thing to accept. But in some ways, it´s actually better that way. Then we know the people are getting baptized for the right reasons, and not just because they like the missionaries or something (this happens way too easily, if we´re not careful, which is probably why transfers exist in the first place). Missionaries come and go, but the church will still be true after we end our missions. So the people need to have their testimonies founded on the one (Christ) who will always be there for them, the sure foundation (Helaman 5:12). I may not get to collect all the fruits of my labors, but knowing I at least planted the seeds is a pretty good feeling.

Anyway, I´m just about out of time. But I will leave you with this idea that struck me during one of my more pensive moments this week: "If we spent as much time trying to do something as we did wishing we could do it, we´d find we´d have a lot more talents." Así es. And don´t you forget it.

Through the winds of change,

Hermana Sweeney "The Fearless" (Except on Sundays)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Online Dating: The New American Normal

I might outdo myself today. One can only hope. So exactly a week ago, I was sitting in the foyer at church, waiting for Sacrament Meeting to be over so that I could teach my Sunday School lesson. That is my calling in my home ward even though I am also attending the Singles Ward. Weird. Anyway, as I was a-sitting, a twenty-something couple and their toddler son intrude upon my solitude as the little boy proceeds to do human donuts in the middle of the carpet. I was mildly distracted from my lesson prep, and since unlike his mother, I wasn't attempting to enforce a reverent silence upon him, he seemed to slowly but surely magnetize over to my neck of the foyer. What happened next put one of those stupid smiles on my face that lasts long after the event has passed. This little tyke hobbles over to the table next to where I was seated in my armchair, and notices there's a single yellow lily bulb resting atop it. He looks from the flower to me, picks up the flower, grins, and han

Dancing Pickles, Serving Missions, and Other Things I didn't Want to Do

Well, it had to happen sooner or later; inevitable, like a bad ABC Family summer sitcom or the resurgence of leggings. What is this great Event (not to be confused with the wannabe 'Lost' T.V. show), you might ask? I am now blogging. Why? Well, dear anybody-who's-reading-this, simply put, I'm going through cha cha cha CHANGES! and because this is the easiest way for people to stay updated, we now find ourselves here. So as some people might know, I am serving the Master and Commander upstairs on an LDS mission in the Capital of the Dominican Republic, Santo Domingo (West Mission). Yes, yes thank you, I know, I am wonderful. I've also determined that this means God loves me more than people serving stateside. It's a logical conclusion. I mean, I'm practically going on vacation! [Note: if you are offended by my humor, I will only cheerfully encourage you to purchase a of sense of one at a local convenience store near you]. But I have a confession, World Wi

There's Nothing to Fear, but What You Feel

"Sometimes I think that it's better to never ask why"- Pink Wow. If crap could be holy, this would be one of those occasions. I haven't written in FOREVER! I have friends that don't even like blogging who have me bested. It's literally been three months, o sea, 1/4 of a year, since I've had anything useful or otherwise to contribute. I have some ah-splaining to do..." Here's a mild recap of some things that have happened. I honestly probably don't remember them all. I still work at Vivint, the leader in home automation and security. But I got a new job. I hesitate to call it a promotion, because I'm not sure that it is, or that I did anything to earn it. But I enjoy it a lot more than when I used to call people up and be like, "hey, so... security?" The nice thing is, I actually think they're great systems, but selling them wasn't my strong point. I have to admit, I used to have a great disdain for salespeop